Friday, September 2, 2011

Myself as a writer - Assignment #1


Writing is like morning exercise

         Most mornings at KMLA starts with the morning exercise. I would wake up at around 6am in pure agony, put on thick hard to wear kendo clothes, and run to the gym not to be late. I would just arrive on time and start the rigorous morning exercise. At first muscles all over my body would scream as I wave the blade in the air again and again. The great pain soon overcomes me. However after the first few minutes of torture endorphin kicks in and the pain is gradually gone. From this point the morning exercise that I so dreaded actually becomes fun! With the high feeling due to my trusted hormone I enjoy the rest of the morning exercise with a smile. Now my essay writing for me is very similar to this.
Every time I sit down to write an essay I feel as if I’m staring at a huge blank canvas that needs to be painted. I have no idea what to write and the white spaces seems too big. The immense pressure is always torturing. I tend to delay the writing till the very last limit and even try to avoid it. Even during the beginning of writing I am easily distracted. However after a few sentences or I start to really get into the essay and enjoy writing it. So the hardship only stays at the very beginning of writing. Even for this essay now starting it was very hard.
After the hardships that I encountered in writing I tried many methods to make writing for me enjoyable from the start. This gave me a style that include humorous features, dialogues, and fun stories that makes me more fun to write and also for the readers fun to read. I avoided using a fixed structure for an essay and started memorizing phrases in books that I could use in my writing. I think this is the general way my style of writing developed, to make writing more enjoyable.

The weakness I would have as a writer would be the small number of books that I read in my childhood. During my elementary school days I was far from books and was much closer to TVs and computers. Now this really limits my vocabulary and expressions that I could utilize in my writing. I would have many ideas firing in my head, but fail to fully express them through my writing. Sometimes the right words won’t pop out, but stay at the tip of my tong.
Another big flaw that I carry is that most of my essay ends up very sloppy and unorganized. I don’t spend enough time carefully planning my essay and end up just writing what my brain blabbers to me. After done writing I would proof read my work and realize the sloppiness of my work.
My goal for me is to be able to truly express myself in an essay. I wish I can really practice my writing in this class.



1 comment:

  1. I really like your analogy in the intro. It's easy to procrastinate, and I do it myself. But if you can view this procrastination as instead a process of "preparation," you'll probably experience at lot less pain staring at a blank screen. Think about what you are going to write while you are walking up the hill. Brainstorm ideas when you are waiting in line for food in the cafeteria. Basically, write inside your brain before you have to put it on paper. Consciously make the effort.

    Your grammar is pretty solid, so you shouldn't be making as many little errors as you do. More proofreading is in your future, I think. Attention to detail in order to become truly "spotless."

    ReplyDelete