Sunday, March 4, 2012

Music Companies Control over K-pop?


Some say K-pop isn’t K-pop anymore, that the charts and music of k-pop is far from the populism of the music in Korea, but rather that the huge music company artificially control what K-pop is. Though this could’ve been very true in the past, I disagree with this nowadays.

In the past, means of advertisement was very scarce. The means were only through television and maybe radio, which took lots of money and some social power to do. However, currently, due to the development of the internet, advertisement is available for all musicians of Korea. Now singers don’t have to make a contract with the big companies to get a head start in the music industry. They can spread their music on their own by means of blogs and internet galleries, and if the music is good, it will rise to become popular.

1 comment:

  1. I heard from Mr. Johnson that you should have left a comment on my blog, but since you do not have any, I'll just leave a brief comment on your short writing.

    You wrote over here that the muscians, using the internet, can now advertise themselves without the need to contact with the big companies, and that they can be popular through posting their musics on the internet. I do agree in certain level, that they can be a little famous, but I cannot agree that this small faction of the industry can change the vogue of the industry. The unified pattern of the K-POP is formulated mainly because it sells. People around the world buy the song and love it. I personally do not like the whole idol trend and so, but I do feel that their repetitive songs are actually very addictive. Without realizing, I get to hum the song.

    To get to the point, I do agree that the introduction of internet can have some influence, but I do not think that this could change the whole industry and "rise."

    ReplyDelete